Hi. How are things today? I hope you're all doing rather swell as the end of April approaches. If you've been a regular reader here, you know all of the crazy good fortune that's been coming my way lately. Sheesh! This week there were requests for radio interviews and even a possible TV spot next week. It's all super flattering and incredibly awesome, but for this sometimes shy girl who's used to typing away at her computer with slippers on her feet and a cat in her lap, it's almost a wee bit overwhelming at times. No way in my wildest of dreams did I think writing in this space would lead to such wonderful opportunities and recognition. Like I've said before, I'm bruised from the pinching to see if it's really real.
My whole intention for this post was to write about some individual frittata cups I cooked up...but it turns out they were rather mediocre in taste and I didn't really love the way the photos turned out. Frittata for the fail! You all deserve nothing but the best in recipe content and visual content, so if it's crap I'm not going to post it. And maybe I'm just feeling a teeny bit of pressure, now that I have had exposure and recognition as one of Canada's best food bloggers, to step up my game a bit. I'm fully aware that this is pressure I'm putting onto my own shoulders, and it's silly even telling you all about it. While I'm generally confident in everything I create on these pages, it is also tempered with a little insecurity. Right before I hit "publish" I think to myself, oh God I hope they love this post as much as I do, and is that photo good enough, and did I really need to talk about my cats so much?
So for the next few days I'm just gonna chill out, take a deep breath and enjoy the ride. Lucky for you I've got a list of all kinds of great stuff I've been loving lately. Below are inspiring links or notes to words, sounds, images, recipes and events that have rocked my little world. Expect a new recipe here sometime next week, but until then, have a great weekend! xoxo Renee
1. I so can't wait for the local strawberry u-pick to open just so I can make these and these. Yum!
2. Blood, Bones & Butter is currently on my bedside table and I'm savouring every word.
3. This lipgloss is making me happy! I'm not crazy about having toxins in my makeup, and because I have a massive
4. God I love this song.
5. Tamar Adler in video and print.
6. Brown butter, brown butter I love you brown butter.
7. Blind dates. Sometimes they can work out really, really well.
8. Red wine and chocolate - two of my favourite food groups. Imagine them in a cake!
9. Stevie Nicks. This July my friend Stacy and I are going to see her in Toronto. Stevie Nicks!
10. If you are a cat person, you have to see this, and if you aren't then skip to 11.
11. Holy guacamole!
12. So I'm kind of addicted to Sons of Anarchy. No, I don't have a tattoo or ride a motorbike or have any affiliation with a "brotherhood". Plus I think I'll be Jax for Halloween. Where can I find those all white sneakers?!
13. For surely it is a magical thing for a handful of words, artfully arranged, to stop time. ~ Jhumpa Lahiri
14. I stumbled across this lovely new to me blog; so exciting to see all of the crazy good food blogging talent out there. I just have to scroll down my reader to be inspired every day.
15. The photo below appeared in the April 14th edition of the National Post newspaper. Super cool to see my name in the small print beneath my photo. Those breakfast tacos really are photogenic!