This is a sponsored post. While I was compensated financially, all opinions are my own.
I really love these late August days. This is the point of summer when I'm savouring every detail, every day. I'm thoroughly enjoying ice cream on the patio, as the dragonflies swoop under the trees, which are beginning to change, but I pretend I don't see the yellowing of leaves. Whenever I put on a pretty summer dress, I feel the fabric and admire the way it swirls about my hips, all the while thinking that this could be the last time I wear it this year. In the evening, I love how the warm breeze moves the curtains, just so. The other night I fell asleep to the sound of thunder rumbling in the distance, and I’m almost certain there was a smile on my face. I savour every moment summer and I have together, whether it's driving out on country roads to look at the stars, or one last dip of the toes into the lake. And, I’m eating all of the delicious things like peaches and corn and tomatoes, oh my! For anyone who loves food, this is the best time of the year. Savour it all, while you can.
Speaking of delicious things, this simple skillet dinner is right up there. I grilled up some Grimm’s Garlic Sausage, just so I could get things nice and smoky, then I let it cool down while I boiled some gnocchi. I always have packages of gnocchi in my pantry as it makes such tasty and quick dinners. When the sausage has cooled, I cook the slices so they get some crispy bits (everyone loves crispy bits!) and oh man, the smell from the skillet is heavenly. Gluten free, lactose free, soy free, with no added MSG, Grimm’s Garlic Sausage is a family favourite for good reason. And, I love that it’s made in Canada with no sketchy bi-products or fillers. After the sausage has browned, I stir in those sweet-as-candy cherry tomatoes, and zucchini, as well as onions and garlic. The tomatoes break down and release their juices and the smell radiating from the stove is so good! The cooked gnocchi joins the party, as well as a good amount of basil. This is a delicious end of summer meal that takes less than 30 minutes from the grill to the table, leaving you precious time to savour the rest of your summer days as you see fit.
For more grilling inspiration, check out Grimm’s Fine Foods.
Grilled Garlic Sausage and Gnocchi Skillet Dinner
300 g Grimm’s Garlic Sausage
1 lb gnocchi
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
2 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/2-inch thick pieces
1 small onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the grill to medium heat. Cook both sides of the garlic sausage until there are some charred bits - about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and let it rest while you prep the rest of the meal.
2. Put a large pot of salted water on to boil over medium-high heat. Add the gnocchi and cook according to package directions. Drain and return to the pot. Drizzle with 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
3. Slice the garlic sausage into 1/4-inch thick pieces. You may have to remove some of the casing if it’s too charred or blistered. Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Fry the sausage slices until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, zucchini, onion, and garlic. Add generous pinches of salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes until the tomatoes are blistered and release their juices, and the zucchini is softened.
4. Stir in the cooked gnocchi and cook for another 2 minutes. Stir in the chopped basil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Divide into bowls and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and drizzle with olive oil. Makes 4 servings.